Cancel

Students First • L’élève avant tout Since 1909

History

A Rich History Steeped in Tradition

1909

  • Lower Canada College opens its doors for the first time on Monday, September 20, with roughly 100 students, many of whom are boarders. Charles S. Fosbery is the founder and first headmaster.
  • The crest and motto, Non Nobis Solum (Not For Ourselves Alone), are modelled after the Fosbery family crest and motto.

1912

  • The LCC Football Team wins the Intermediate City Championship, its first-ever league championship in any sport.

1913

  • The Dining Room is added to the main building.

1920

  • The original alumni association – The Old Boys’ Association – is launched, and Dr. Fosbery announces his decision to leave the school to the alumni upon his eventual retirement.
  • The first Armistice Day ceremony is held (later Remembrance Day).

1921

  • The first LCC student to be awarded a Rhodes Scholarship is announced.

1922

  • The Memorial Gym, built to honour former students who served and died in World War I, is officially dedicated.

1925

  • An Act of the Quebec Legislature creates the Corporation of Lower Canada College. The first Chairman of the LCC Board of Governors is appointed.

1926

  • The honorary degree of Doctor of Laws is conferred on Dr. Fosbery at McGill convocation.

1929

  • A two-storey addition to the south side of the main building is built for the Prep school and for senior locker rooms and administrative offices.

1935

  • Dr. Fosbery retires and, in an unprecedented move, gives LCC to its alumni. The Corporation takes over control.
  • The first Founder’s Day, an occasion to host outdoor events and present prizes, is held to mark Dr. Fosbery’s retirement. Over the years, the day evolves into graduation day at the school.

1936

  • The first significant female presence at the school comes with the hiring of three full-time women teachers in the Junior School.
  • Non Nobis Solum is adopted as the official school song.

1940

  • The House System is formally established.

1949

  • The Memorial Library is officially opened in the presence of the Governor General.

1955

  • A covered, artificial ice rink is built.

1957

  • Entrance examinations are introduced.
  • Annual Giving by the Old Boys’ Association is introduced.

1959

  • The single-storey Baillie Science Wing is built.

1962

  • LCC no longer functions as a boarding school.
  • A Junior School gymnasium is added on the west side of the building.

1969

  • A students’ council is implemented with its president as the student leader in the school.
  • The Corps of Cadets comes to an end.

1971

  • Two floors are added to the Baillie Science Wing.
  • The first Non Nobis Solum Award is presented, celebrating the accomplishments of an alumnus for his outstanding contribution to society.

1972

  • Former Headmaster D. Stephen Penton publishes Non Nobis Solum, his history of the school.

1975

  • The first Junior School musical production is staged.

1986

  • A Junior School wing is constructed on the south side of the school.

1991

  • LCC introduces a bilingual program in grade 1, expanding in subsequent years to include the entire Junior School.

1992

  • Former private residences adjacent to the main building are purchased and renovated. The newly established Barclay House first serves grade 12 students.
  • The Pre-University program begins to accept girls.
  • The Lower Canada College Foundation is created.

1995

  • LCC becomes fully coeducational.
  • To create the McBroom Music Building, former homes owned by the school on the east side of Royal Avenue are renovated.
  • LCC’s first kindergarten is opened in Barclay House.

1999

  • The first Destiny Quebec conference, a bilingual youth forum, is held.

2000

  • The Webster Learning Activity Centre opens.

2003

  • The Junior School Experimental Science and Creativity Centre, L’Exploratorium de Gaspé Beaubien, opens.
  • The Junior School Assaly Music Centre opens.

2006

  • The Alumni Association revives the Non Nobis Solum Award, last presented in 1986, and introduces the Non Nobis Solum Medal, which recognizes a unique contribution and outstanding commitment to LCC.

2007

  • The first Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award is completed.

2008

  • The last hockey game is played on the historic outdoor rink.
  • The state-of-the-art, eco-friendly Glenn J. Chamandy Indoor Arena is inaugurated.
  • LCC becomes a full member of Round Square, a worldwide association of schools.

2009

  • The school celebrates its 100th year.

2010

  • A newly renovated science wing opens.

2013

  • LCC becomes an International Baccalaureate World School.

2014

  • The LEED Gold standard Assaly Arts Centre opens.
  • The former math department is converted into a student activity centre, as well as a recording studio and music practice rooms.
  • LCC builds the Saputo Field, a FIFA-standard synthetic turf pitch.

2016

  • The Senior Girls Hockey Team makes history with its first ever GMAA Championship.

Powered by Finalsite