The academic advising program spans from grade 7 to Pre-University. Students are guided through academic advising classes, workshops, post-secondary fairs, one-on-one consultations and family meetings. Every student at LCC also has their own personalized planning platform called myBlueprint. Academic advisors support students in mapping out their future path and giving students the tools to identify their “fit criteria” so that they can define and reach their educational, career and life goals. In addition to academic advising classes, the myBlueprint platform and individual meetings, the academic advising team also provides targeted workshops related to CEGEP and university options, application strategies, summer opportunities and career possibilities through a workshop series called “U-Prep”. Through the academic advising course, "U-Prep" workshops and, on an individual basis, students are encouraged to explore a range of post-secondary options and opportunities for academic and personal enrichment. Here’s how we support students:
Meet Our Academic Advising Coordinator
Career Speakers Series
Connecting Students with the Community
LCC offers an array of opportunities that help inform student decisions. Here’s how:
- A career speakers series organized by the academic advising team, alumni office and students, with professionals from various fields, including journalism, health care, law and marketing, to name a few.
- LCC graduates speak with students about their CEGEP and university experiences, providing insight into specific aspects of the university application process, and serving as an LCC alumni connection at their respective universities.
- Guest speakers from Canadian, American and International universities present on a variety of topics: the admissions process, transitioning to post-secondary life and the road to employment.
- On-campus information sessions with university and CEGEP admission representatives from all over the world.
- University tour visits.
- An optional after-school activity focused on university preparation and application processes.
- Weekly presentations and discussions on different topics relevant for students in grade 10 through to Pre-U.
- Step-by-step instructions on preparing university applications for the US, Canada and the UK, and information on different academic programs and university choices from post-secondary institutions around the world.
- Representatives from a range of universities provide insight into preparing applications for admission review.
- Focus on the Common Application, used by thousands of American universities and colleges, as well college research techniques and resources, applications and personal statements for universities in the UK, essay-writing, scholarships, summer programs and supplements.
- By the end of grade 11, students will have had several workshops to support them in completing a draft of their US and UK applications, including the personal essay and personal (US) statement (UK).