iPad Program (iPride)
An iPad Program for Grades 7, 8 and 9 Students
As a school committed to preparing students for success and leadership in a sustainable global society, we are continuously enhancing our practices and evaluating the devices that we use to support the learning process.
Our teachers continue to pursue their training on the effective pedagogical use of the iPad and the applications used to support our students’ learning.
There are currently four Apple certified teachers at LCC.
- lighter in the schoolbag
- more portable
- used to create and project content onto an interactive whiteboard (IWB)
- acts as a camera, recorder & e-reader all in one
- software is always up-to-date
- encourages inquiry-based and problem-based learning and cross-discipline curricula
- allows students to demonstrate their thinking and understanding in a variety of ways
- encourages collaborative learning with peers
- cost of device (i.e., iPad vs. laptop)
- educational pricing
- ease of purchase
- mobility (the teacher is no longer confined to the front of the class)
- collaboration with students
- easy and timely feedback to students
Here is a list of iPad apps that grade 7, 8 and 9 students will use during the 2019-2020 school year.
123D Design (For Math)
Antidote (For French)
Book Creator (For Every Subject)
Canva (For Every Subject)
Studyo (For Electronic Agenda)
You Doodle (For Geography)
Explain Everything (For Every Subject)
Gizmos (For Science)
Google Classroom (For
Google Docs (For Every Subject)
Google Drive (For Every Subject)
Google Earth (For Social Sciences)
Google Slides (For Every Subject)
Green Screen (doink) (For Every Subject)
iWork: Pages, Numbers, iMovie, Keynote, Garage Band (For Every Subject)
La Presse+ (For French)
Larousse – French-English Dictionary (For French)
Lego Mindstorms (For Science & Robotics)
Nike Training Club (For
Notability (For Every Subject - Note Taking)
Number Pieces (For Math)
PF Remote-EV3 (For Science & Robotics)
Photo Math (For Math)
Polar Flow (For Phys. Ed.)
Popplet (For Every Subject)
Unfold (For Math)
Quizlet (For Every Subject)
Sketchbook Express (For Geography)
Skitch (For Every Subject)
SmartMusic (For Music)
Socrative Student (For Every Subject)
Stick Around (For Science)
The Elements by Theodore Gray (For Science)
Thinglink (For Every Subject)
Timeline (For Geography & History)
Tunable (For Music)
Do you have questions about technology and your child? Be sure to read our growing list of resources for parents:
- Why was the iPad introduced in grade 7 in 2014-2015 instead of a laptop?
- How come all LCC students aren’t using iPads?
- What am I obligated to purchase for grade 7?
- Do I need to purchase a wireless keyboard for the iPad?
- How much will the iPad 128 GB cost?
- I currently own an iPad; is it possible for my child to use this device instead of having to purchase one from the LCC Apple Store?
- What is the difference between the iPad I own (if applicable), and the device available through the LCC Apple Store?
- What does the iPad Bundle include?
- Can I purchase the iPad from any Apple store?
- Will my child use the iPad throughout high school?
- Is it possible to upload the required apps needed for the grade 7 program on an iPad that I currently own?
- Are there any additional warranty options available for the iPad 128 GB?
- Does LCC offer support for software/hardware related issues or do I need to go through Apple Support?
- What are the application options for word processing?
- Which applications will my child be using?
- How will my child store his/her files?
- How can we protect the device from being damaged?
- What happens if the device is damaged during the school year?
We have conducted our own research within the school and have determined that there are several advantages for student learning with the iPad device. They are much lighter for children to carry and there are many existing apps that are relevant to our academic program.
Furthermore, they are portable, can be used by students to create content on interactive white boards and encourage inquiry- and problem-based learning as well as cross-discipline curricula. Also, they are a source for immediate feedback and all-class participation, peer-to-peer and teacher-student collaboration, and the teacher is no longer confined to the front of the class when teaching.
All incoming grade 7 students require a Pencil ready iPad, Apple or Logitech pencil, earbuds, keyboard, an Apple Care Package and protective case. The device needs to be the current generation iPad 128 GB or newer device. Starting this year, students may use an iPad Pro. Note that although the iPad Air 128 GB has been discontinued, we will support use of this model. Families who wish to use a currently owned iPad should note the following specifications:
- Must be 128 GB
- Must be reset to factory setting
- Must be pencil ready
It is possible so long as the device respects the minimum requirements for the Grade 7 iPad 128 GB program and it is clean and factory reset.
Since July 2018 Apple Education has required schools to add all iPads into their mobile device management system (Molsyle). This system allows us to send apps directly to the students, monitor application use during school hours and provide teachers and parents with options to support students' learning.
Grade 7 students will have the apps pushed to them through the mobile management system during the first week of September. Grade 8 and 9 students will update the required apps during the first week of school.
Every iPad comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support. AppleCare+ for iPad extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPad and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a $49 service fee plus applicable tax. In addition, you’ll get 24/7 priority access to Apple experts via chat or phone.
Every MacBook Pro comes with a one-year limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary telephone technical support. Extend your coverage to three years from the original purchase date of your Mac with the AppleCare Protection Plan. You’ll get direct, one-stop access to Apple’s award-winning telephone technical support for questions about your Mac, MacOS and Apple-branded applications such as Photos, iMovie, GarageBand and more. In addition, you’ll get 24/7 priority access to Apple experts via chat or phone. You can even get local repair service when you visit other countries around the world.
By purchasing AppleCare+ for the iPad, the device is covered for two years and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a $49 service fee plus taxes.
By purchasing AppleCare for the MacBook Pro the device is covered for three years which provides global repair coverage for both parts and labour at Apple authorized repair centres.