The Lower Canada College Libraries develop lifelong learners and proficient users of media and technology through programming, instruction and activities.
Services for Students and Parents
LCC’s two libraries offer a refuge where students can engage in independent study, collaborative learning or leisure reading. Our head librarian and library technicians are happy to help students locate books, articles or reference materials for their school projects and personal interests.
We love challenges! We’ll recommend an app to an iPad enthusiast. We’ll suggest a great book to a student who doesn’t like reading. We’ll help you learn how to track down reliable sources when Google doesn’t take you far enough.
LCC parents may also borrow library books from both the Junior and Senior Libraries, and we are happy to advise you if you have concerns about your child’s reading skills. Books and magazines can be borrowed for two weeks.
A Collection We’re Proud of
We offer a collection that supports the curriculum and encourages students to read for pleasure. We have 25,000 volumes in English and French, and we are continuously adding new titles. As an IB school, we aim to include materials that cover a range of international perspectives.
In addition to our print collection, we have 13 online databases where students can search for reliable, in-depth information. Pre-U students have access to Concordia University Libraries.
We recently launched OverDrive, a digital platform that allows students to check out e-books and audiobooks from the school library. Using a single app called Sora, students can access LCC’s OverDrive collection and download the most popular titles directly to their devices. We have a growing collection of titles in English and French. Here are some of the amazing benefits:
- Open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
- Students can change the font, font size, and screen lighting (there is even a dyslexic-friendly font!)
- Sora will always sync your book to your most recent page.
- Define unfamiliar words, highlight interesting parts, add bookmarks, and write notes.
- See how many books you’ve read, your total reading time, and more.
- A great option for auditory learners, second language learners, students with special needs, and travellers who don’t want to lug around a suitcase of books.
- The best part... at the end of the borrowing period, OverDrive titles return themselves!